Tuesday 30 May 2017

Everyone should do something (even something small!) to help our environment!


I decided (with a friend!) to step out of my comfort zone and go meet some like minded people (sewing people). A "Boomerang Bags" group has opened up in my town and I really like the idea of getting out of the house without kids or husband and just doing my thing. They held their second get together early in May and my friend and I went along. It was pretty basic sewing, which to be honest, suited me fine. My brain was happy to be repetitive. 

Boomerang Bags is all about reducing the usage of plastic bags in our community. We have been making fabric shopping bags from fabrics that have been repurposed from other items, excess stock from commercial businesses, and fabric that people have kindly donated from their stashes! I can't say I'll be donating anything from my stash. I NEED EVERYTHING I HAVE! 

They have their next get together this weekend and my friend and I have been madly sewing at home to get lots of bags ready to be distributed. If only I was this motivated with my own sewing!! 

I love the idea of not using plastic. I have in the past paid for plastic bags because I've forgotten to take my fabric ones. I think I need a sign on my windscreen that I have to see every time I get in my car that says "go back inside the house and get your fabric shopping bags". I rarely remember them. Time to start remembering and do my little bit in helping the environment.

Speaking of the environment, it's starting to get cold here! Time to shut the house up and find my uggies. Brrrrr!!

What do you do or what can you do that might help our world?

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! I agree anything we can do to limit using plastic bags the better x

    ReplyDelete